North Oakland VFW Post 334 and Auxiliary delivered 27 bags of groceries in November to the Older Persons’ Commission Meals on Wheels program in Oxford to help seniors who are unable to shop and/or prepare meals for themselves.
The bags contained various food items, enough for five meals including: canned ham, a bag of chips, Cheez-Its, Ramen noodles, pudding cups, peanut butter, cheese crackers, spaghetti with meatballs, a cup of peaches and applesauce, a can of chicken noodle soup, fresh fruit, cookies, two cans of vegetables, a box of chicken and rice, a box of macaroni and cheese, and tomato juice.
Meals on Wheels is a program run by the Older Persons’ Commission. In 2019, OPC prepared, served, and delivered 84,861 home-delivered meals to seniors throughout Rochester, Rochester Hills, Oakland Township, Auburn Hills, Independence Township, Orion, Oxford, Addison, and Brandon Township. For more information on the Meals on Wheels program, call 248-608-0264 or visit opcseniorcenter.org/services/meals-on-wheels.
VFW Post 334 gratefully accepts monetary donations at VFW Post 334, PO Box 652, Lake Orion MI, 48361. For more information call Kathy Hubbard 248-693-6759.
Oakland County Veterans Resource Fair is Dec. 16 in Troy
The next Oakland County Veterans Resource Fair is from 9 a.m. to noon Friday, Dec. 16, at the Troy Community Center, 3179 Livernois Road, Troy.
Representatives will be on site to serve veterans, active duty, guard and reserves, and their families with resources including free nonperishable food boxes. Organizations include the following:
• Gary Burnstein Community Health Clinic will be scheduling free dental appointments.
• Detroit VA will be administering first and second doses of COVID-19 vaccinations, and boosters.
• Oakland County Health Department will provide COVID-19 vaccines based on CDC guidance.
• Dorsey College Cosmetology Program: Hairstylists will be on site giving free haircuts to veterans.
• Oakland County Veterans’ Services will provide information and claims assistance regarding veteran’s benefits and give away of $50 Meijer gift cards. To be eligible, must be a veteran and Oakland County resident and must present a copy of DD214.
• Oakland Community Health Network to address any behavioral health issues and concerns, including behavioral health needs for children.
• Oakland County Parks and Recreation to give out free annual vehicle permits to veterans.
• Oakland County Michigan Works! to provide veterans and their families with career planning, training programs, job search resources and the opportunity to meet with an employment specialist.
• Oakland County Housing and Neighborhood Development will be available to help residents with housing counseling and more.
• VA Suicide Prevention will provide free gun locks.
Admission is free. Registration is required at www.oakgov.com/veterans/Pages/Veteran-Resource-Fairs.aspx. For more information, email Tyrone Jordan at email@example.com or call 248-285-8016.
• Wreaths Across America will place wreaths on veteran gravesites, Saturday, Dec. 17, at Great Lakes National Cemetery, 4200 Belford Road, Holly. Wreath laying begins after an 11 a.m. ceremony. For more information including parking and volunteering, visit bit.ly/3hfEB7x.
• Royal Oak American Legion Post 253 to host Music Trivia at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 13 and Karaoke at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 16, at 1505 N. Main St. For more information, call 248-546-0490.
• Clarkston American Legion Post 377 to host Bingo from 6 to 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 13, and Karaoke at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 17, at 4819 Mary Sue Ave. For more information, call 248-673-9301.
• Berkley American Legion Post 374 to host Music Trivia at 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15, and Karaoke at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 16, at 2079 W. Twelve Mile Road. For more information, call 248-542-7668.
• Clarkston American Legion Post 63 to host Shuffleboard from 6:45 to 10 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 15, at 8047 Ortonville Road, Clarkston. For more information, call 248-625-9912.
The Oakland Press is interested in all veterans events in Oakland County. Please send info. in the body of an email with subject line “Veterans Affairs” to Sharon Longman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Allow two weeks’ notice for scheduled events and include a phone number for readers to call for more information.