I have always loved grilled cheese. Nothing elaborate, just plain old grilled cheese. Occasionally I’ll throw in tomato slices. To be quite honest, I’ve never quite understood “fancy” grilled cheese. I’ve always wondered why people need fruits and vegetables and meat in their grilled cheese. It’s called grilled cheese, for goodness’ sake.
And then I came across
The Pioneer Woman’s recipe for cheddar and apple grilled cheese. Now I understand what all the fuss is about. It turns out there’s more to grilled cheese than American cheese slices, butter and bread! This sandwich recipe is so simple yet so impressive. Bacon lovers will, of course, appreciate the bacon, but it’s more than that – the brown sugar, the grated cheddar, the apples, the mustard. You’ll have to see for yourself.
This recipe has me thinking of other grilled cheese possibilities and ingredients (I think I may have to experiment with avocado at some point). Thanks, Ree Drummond!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 thick slices hearty multigrain bread
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3 ounces grated white cheddar
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, sliced thin (or your favorite apples)
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
Here’s how to make it:
- In an 8-inch nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Tear or cut in half and set aside.
- Add the brown sugar, onions and 1 tablespoon of the butter into the same skillet. Cook, stirring as needed, until the onions are golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate, blot grease with a paper towel if desired, then set aside.
- Begin building the grilled cheese by spreading one piece of bread with mayonnaise. Sprinkle half of the grated cheese on top, followed by the onions. Place the apple slices and bacon on top of the onions, then add the remaining cheese. Spread the other slice of bread with the mustard and put it mustard side down on top of the cheese. Spread the outside of the top bread slice with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Place the sandwich on the skillet, butter side down. Spread the top of the sandwich with the remaining tablespoon butter. Toast each side of the sandwich over medium-low heat until bread is golden on the outside and the cheese is melted, about 2 to 4 minutes per side. Cut in half and serve with your favorite side.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.