West Indies boss promises action after shock loss to Ireland

Connect with us

Cricket West Indies President Ricky Skerritt has declared a “thorough post-mortem” will be conducted and “solutions will be found” following the Caribbean side’s shock early T20 World Cup exit.

The two-time champions were dumped from this year’s World Cup in the first round after a nine-wicket loss to Ireland in Hobart on Friday.

The West Indies had to win to progress to the Super 12 stage. Instead, they’ll watch the second round of the tournament from the sidelines.

Catch the T20 World Cup Live on Kayo. Don’t Risk Missing All Your Teams’ Matches. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

It’s a far cry from winning the title in 2012 and 2016 and the latest disappointment for the once-powerful Caribbean side.

“I am deeply disappointed with the performance results of our team in Australia and I appreciate the sense of utter frustration that is being experienced by many,” Skerritt said in a statement.

“The ongoing inability of our batsmen to prevail over opposing slow bowling continued to be an obvious weakness in Australia, and untimely shot selections seem to be deeply embedded in the T20 batting culture of our senior team.”

West Indies’ Odean Smith. Picture: David Gray
West Indies’ Odean Smith. Picture: David GraySource: AFP

The West Indies came into the tournament in Australia with a new-look team led by Nicholas Pooran after the likes of Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard retired. Andre Russell was overlooked.

Skerritt, who’s been Cricket West Indies President since 2019 after an extended team manager stint previously, suggested no stone would be left unturned when assessing the team’s exit.

“A thorough post-mortem will be carried out on all aspects of our World Cup preparation and performance, and that solutions will be found in keeping with CWI’s strategy to improve the quality and sustainability of cricket on all fronts, and in all formats,” he said.

“West Indies cricket is bigger than any one individual or event, and continues to need the input and support of all stakeholders.”

Disciplined bowling restricted the West Indies to 146-5, with Gareth Delany taking a career-best 3-16, before the Irish romped to their target for the loss of just one wicket with 15 balls to spare.

Head coach Phil Simmons said post-match on Friday his West Indies team “didn’t turn up” and it was back to the drawing board

“We started well with the bat, but we just didn’t continue,” Simmons said.

“I think when you sum it up, we were outplayed in all departments today. They bowled well. We batted well at the start but didn’t carry on, and they just batted well and batted us out of the game.

“We’ve worked hard. We’ve prepared well. It’s just on the day, we haven’t done the correct things. We haven’t assessed the situation properly of the day and done what’s necessary for the situation.

The West Indies lost to Ireland. Picture: David GraySource: AFP

“I don’t think there was disrespect on our part. We prepared like if we were playing anyone else.”

Reflecting on the West Indies’s dramatic fall from the top, Simmons said: “We have the batsmen, the capabilities, we just haven’t been putting it together.

“Our bowlers are showing up nine out of 10 times, but the batters haven’t really shown up.

“We’ve got to go back and look at our structure and how we play the game and make sure that when we come to competitions and when we play in bilateral series we are ready and able to do what’s necessary for each situation of the game.”

— with AFP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *